If you suffer with acne, you’ll understand the search for a treatment that will help to clear your skin and reduce itching and irritation. That’s where witch hazel can help. Witch hazel is a flowering shrub which grows in both American and Japan, and has a long history of medicinal uses. Witch hazel is a natural treatment that can help tone and support your skin, which can be beneficial if you are suffering from acne.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition which causes the appearance of spots and pimples, including blackheads, whiteheads, pustules and cysts. Acne can break out on the face, neck, back, chest or shoulders, and is very uncomfortable for the sufferer. Acne can be itchy or even painful, and sufferers may find that its unsightly appearance knocks their confidence. Acne can also cause scarring.
There is some debate about what causes acne – poor diet or oily skin have been cited as possible causes, as has hormone levels, especially as acne is particularly common among teenage boys. Some experts also suggest that genetics or even smoking could be to blame.
One thing is for sure – if you’ve ever suffered with acne you’ll know how hard the search for a good treatment can be!
How Can Witch Hazel Help?
The leaves of the witch hazel plant can be used to extract a natural astringent, which can be helpful in treating acne. As well as being an astringent, witch hazel has antioxidant and anti bacterial properties, which is good news for your skin.
Witch hazel helps by providing a deep clean to your pores to rid them of bacteria, and by tightening them to improve the look of your skin.
How to To Use Witch Hazel As A Toner For Acne
You can buy branded witch hazel toners easily, or you can make your own:
- Add 6 drops of lavender oil and 1 tablespoon of dried lavender to a cup of witch hazel.
- Store the mixture in a glass jar in a cool, dry place.
- Shake every day.
- After a week, strain off the flowers and store the remaining liqud in a clean dark-colored bottle.
Once you have bought or made your witch hazel toner, using it couldn’t be easier:
- First, wash your hands thoroughly to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Wash your face with warm water and a gentle cleanser that won’t irritate your skin.
- Gently pat (don’t rub) dry with a clean soft towel.
- Use a cotton pad or ball to apply the toner over your face.
- Alternatively, you can dab it on specific problem spots.
- Repeat daily.
How to To Use Witch Hazel As A Mask For Acne
You can also use witch hazel as a mask to treat acne. You can buy many witch hazel masks – make sure you choose one that is suitable for your skin type. Or, you can make your own mask by following these steps:
- Blend 1 teaspoon of witch hazel with 2 teaspoons of honey
- You can add lavender or tea tree oil if you wish.
- Egg whites or mashed avocado are great if you want your mask to be more of a paste.
Once you have made or bought your mask, using it is easy:
- First wash your hands.
- Gently cleanse, rinse and pat your face dry.
- Apply your witch hazel mask, being careful to avoid your mouth, lips, ear and hairline.
- Leave on for the length of time specified on the package – if you’re going the home made route, 15 minutes is fine.
- Wash off the mask and gently pat dry.
- Witch hazel is an inexpensive and natural treatment that can help to soothe your skin and improve its appearance. Including witch hazel in your daily skincare routine is easy and can be useful in treating acne.